You Thought You Knew Everything About Porsche, But Did You Know These 8 Surprising Facts?
Just when you think you know everything about your favorite high-performance automobile brand—Porsche—new and interesting facts always seem to find their way to the surface. Today, over 80 years after the very first Porsche vehicle was born, the luxury automaker continues to stand at the leading edge of performance and technology.
Take a look at some of these cool and interesting facts, and tell us, how many have you heard before?
1. Porsche founder Ferdinand Porsche not only made the very first electric car in the world [in 1898], but he was also contracted by Adolf Hitler [in 1934] to design a people’s car. That car is known today as the Volkswagen Beetle.
2. Because of component shortages, Ferdinand started using parts from the VW to begin working on his next car [the Porsche 365]. The Porsche 365 was the first sports car to make it onto the road and had its engine positioned in front of the rear axle and right behind the driver.
3. The Porsche 911 is the most popular car made by the company. Since 1964, the Porsche 911 has even been solely manufactured in one place -- the Porsche Factory in Stuttgart, Germany.
4. Black, red, and white are the top three favored colors of Porsche vehicles. However, for a fee, you can get your Porsche custom painted any color you wish.
5. In 1972, Porsche developed the world’s first black chronograph watch. The watch face mimicked the gauges in a car and was absolutely stunning.
6. At the request of Austro-Daimler, a rich Hollywood filmmaker, Ferdinand Porsche built the “Sascha.” The Sascha was smaller than most cars but much more powerful. It ended up winning 43 races, one of which was the legendary Targa Florio in 1922.
7. In addition to designing automobiles, Porsche has also dabbled in tractor designs for farming. And not just regular farming tractors, but special tractors used for coffee farming. The tractors ran on gasoline so that the diesel fumes didn’t interrupt the taste and flavor of the coffee.
8. How many races have Porsche race cars won? Approximately 24,000. There is not one single carmaker that can top that record.
We hope that after reading this article, you are able to walk away with just a little more knowledge about the Porsche brand than you had before. If you’re a proud Porsche lover, like all of us here at AutohausAZ, head on over to our Porsche parts page for affordable, high-quality parts!